Tuesday, September 20, 2016


  You Want Me to Sew What?
By Jessica
 

It’s been a while since I have written anything. Life has gotten crazy with learning to sew, starting fall activities with my little toddler and my husband leaving for Nebraska for work. He will be gone for a month. I’m on day three of being a temporary single parent. I feel like I will have a whole new appreciation for single parents once my husband returns.

Well since my first sewing post I had three more lessons. The Nanny is an amazing teacher who has taught me so much already. The first thing that was eye opening is when she suggested we make an outfit for my daughter as my first project. I was shocked when she mentioned a whole outfit. I even said “Are you sure that will be easy enough?”.  I mean I know nothing about sewing an entire outfit!

 To my surprise she introduced me to Easy Stitch ‘n Save by McCalls
 
 All you do is pick an outfit you like and buy the packet. This packet will include the template of the outfit you want to sew. Just buy the fabric you want and use the template to cut out your outfit. Now I don’t need to freak out about making on arm longer than the other. If I had known this I might have tried to learn years ago.


In the last three days I have cut out my outfit template.  I also pinned the pieces to together and even sewn most of my daughter shirt.  I don’t want you to think I know what the hell I’m doing because I don’t! I made a million mistakes and Nanny is so patient with me. My mistakes have been not putting my bobbin into the machine correctly, not sewing in a straight line and forgetting to put my needle down into the fabric when I stop sewing (this keeps me in place). Let’s not even get me started how it took almost an entire second lesson to find the best stitch on the sewing machine. Who knew there were so many different stitches.
 

But even with all the mistakes and sewing imperfections I still feel so accomplished. I never imagined I would learn to sew and make my daughter an outfit. Before becoming a SAHM I never had time to learn. I spent my evenings lesson planning, grading and working on IEPs. Being a SAHM has some perks I finally have a little bit of time to learn a new craft for myself.

 
 
 
Since my husband is away I started having my coffee in his favorite mug. I may not give it back to him when he comes home.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment