Tuesday, October 11, 2016

I Have No Idea How to Hand Sew!


I Have No Idea How to Hand Sew!
By Jessica
 

Alright everyone a new sewing post is here! Sorry for the delay. Nanny continues to come over a few times a week for my sewing lessons. As we were finishing up the shirt for my daughter’s outfit Nanny asked me to hand sew the bottom hem with small close stitches. When I started my sewing adventure, I wasn’t kidding when I said I knew nothing about sewing. Which means I have never hand sewn anything, not even a button! So here we are Nanny asking me to hand sew and me looking at her completely lost. I looked her in the eye and said, “Nanny I have never hand sewn before.” I was finally feeling more confident with using the sewing machine, and here I was faced with using a needle and thread by hand.  So of course I had to ask her every question that popped in my head.

How do you knot the thread? How do you keep the thread from coming out of your needle? Do you need to reverse sew when you’re done?

Not only did I ask her question after question I even had her show me like three times!  By the end of this lesson my homework was to finish hand sewing the hem. Which by the way took me forever! But I will admit I am proud of myself I mean I actually became one of those woman hand sewing while trying to watch television.  

The next day I couldn’t help myself and asked her like multiple times if the hem was okay. I want my daughter outfit to be perfect! So this got even more amusing when Nanny introduced me to sewing snaps on the shirt.  She showed me the snaps and demonstrated how to tell snaps apart. I was unprepared for what she was going to say. She took one snap and said male and the second one she called it female. Of course I wasn’t looking closely at them which is why when I asked why her response threw me.  She took the male snap and said it looks like the male part while this one looks like the female. From that moment on I have never been able to look at snaps again. It never occurred to use the male and female anatomy in sewing.  
 

So Nanny is not just teaching me to sew but how to use the male and female body parts to tell the difference between snaps. I mean really who wants to sew two male snaps they won’t close at all!

 

My love for coffee continues with French Vanilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment